Congress` Basti candidate refuses to contest
Basti: Congress candidate from Basti Lok Sabha seat, MLA Sanjay Kumar Jaiswal on Tuesday refused to contest the election, saying he would fight the polls After a sexual harassment charge levelled against him was proved wrong.
In a letter written to party president Sonia Gandhi, Jaiswal has stated that the Congress government had done a lot for women empowerment, but unfortunately he has been accused of harassing a woman.
"I will not contest election till the charges against me are proved wrong..I have full faith in the party," Jaiswal stated.
The legislator has been accused of sexual harassment by a woman, who has filed an FIR against him at the Hazratganj police station of Lucknow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what