Congress` Basti candidate refuses to contest
Basti: Congress candidate from Basti Lok Sabha seat, MLA Sanjay Kumar Jaiswal on Tuesday refused to contest the election, saying he would fight the polls After a sexual harassment charge levelled against him was proved wrong.
In a letter written to party president Sonia Gandhi, Jaiswal has stated that the Congress government had done a lot for women empowerment, but unfortunately he has been accused of harassing a woman.
"I will not contest election till the charges against me are proved wrong..I have full faith in the party," Jaiswal stated.
The legislator has been accused of sexual harassment by a woman, who has filed an FIR against him at the Hazratganj police station of Lucknow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional