Court declares girl major, allows her to live with husband
Muzaffarnagar: A local court has directed a girl, who drew the ire of her family and khap panchayat for marrying a man of the same gotra, to stay with her husband, saying that she is a major.
Chief Judicial Magistrate Suresh Chand also directed that the couple, currently staying in New Delhi, be provided adequate security.
According to police, Monika eloped with her boyfriend Ajay Balyan, who belongs to the same gotra, and married him at Ghari village in the district on April 13.
The khap and her relatives had opposed their relationship. Her family members had also lodged FIR against Ajay for abducting the girl. They had threatened the couple of dire consequences, police said.
The couple had earlier filed a petition in Allahabad High Court seeking police protection, which was granted to them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"
- JNU protest: Kejriwal hits out at PM Modi, says targetting innocents will prove costly to him