Court declares girl major, allows her to live with husband
Muzaffarnagar: A local court has directed a girl, who drew the ire of her family and khap panchayat for marrying a man of the same gotra, to stay with her husband, saying that she is a major.
Chief Judicial Magistrate Suresh Chand also directed that the couple, currently staying in New Delhi, be provided adequate security.
According to police, Monika eloped with her boyfriend Ajay Balyan, who belongs to the same gotra, and married him at Ghari village in the district on April 13.
The khap and her relatives had opposed their relationship. Her family members had also lodged FIR against Ajay for abducting the girl. They had threatened the couple of dire consequences, police said.
The couple had earlier filed a petition in Allahabad High Court seeking police protection, which was granted to them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP