Cracker blast at Gorakhnath temple
Lucknow: An explosion Sunday night on the premises of the ancient Gorakhnath temple in Uttar Pradesh`s Gorakhpur district has raised security concerns.
According to the police, a powerful cracker went off Sunday night at the Bhim Mansarovar pond situated on the temple premises. No one was injured.
"The explosion might have been caused by a firecracker but it has exposed the loopholes in the security system at the temple," temple head priest Mahant Adityanath told reporters Monday in Gorakhpur, some 300 km from Lucknow.
"Considering the huge rush of the devotees at the temple, district administration and police authorities must come up with an effective security cover for the temple," he said.
"As the temple is located near the India-Nepal border, on several occasions in the past I personally approached senior police officials for strengthening security, but to no avail," he added.
Adityanath is also a Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) member of Parliament.
Significantly, the area where the explosion took place remains crowded, but showers at the time kept devotees away from the site.
"We are not challenging the claims of the police that the explosion was caused by firecrackers. But the situation would not have been the same if like on any other day devotees remained present near the pond area at the time of explosion," another priest, Avaidyanath, told reporters.
"The explosion is the handiwork of some mischievous elements; it has no terror angle." Superintendent of Police (City) Umesh Srivastava told a news agency.
"No pellets, no metallic pieces or anything incriminating have been found from the site. A detailed investigation is on," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof