Cracker blast at Gorakhnath temple
Lucknow: An explosion Sunday night on the premises of the ancient Gorakhnath temple in Uttar Pradesh`s Gorakhpur district has raised security concerns.
According to the police, a powerful cracker went off Sunday night at the Bhim Mansarovar pond situated on the temple premises. No one was injured.
"The explosion might have been caused by a firecracker but it has exposed the loopholes in the security system at the temple," temple head priest Mahant Adityanath told reporters Monday in Gorakhpur, some 300 km from Lucknow.
"Considering the huge rush of the devotees at the temple, district administration and police authorities must come up with an effective security cover for the temple," he said.
"As the temple is located near the India-Nepal border, on several occasions in the past I personally approached senior police officials for strengthening security, but to no avail," he added.
Adityanath is also a Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) member of Parliament.
Significantly, the area where the explosion took place remains crowded, but showers at the time kept devotees away from the site.
"We are not challenging the claims of the police that the explosion was caused by firecrackers. But the situation would not have been the same if like on any other day devotees remained present near the pond area at the time of explosion," another priest, Avaidyanath, told reporters.
"The explosion is the handiwork of some mischievous elements; it has no terror angle." Superintendent of Police (City) Umesh Srivastava told a news agency.
"No pellets, no metallic pieces or anything incriminating have been found from the site. A detailed investigation is on," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand