‘Crime rate on rise, rape cases more in UP’
Mumbai: The crime rate is on rise in the
country, more particularly rape incidents which have become a
matter of concern in Uttar Pradesh, Chairperson of National
Commission for Women Yasmeen Abrar said here on Tuesday.
Speaking to reporters, Abrar, who is on a visit to the
city, criticised the UP government saying that the safety
aspect of females in the state was a matter of serious concern
and had gone from bad to worse.
Referring to a recent rape case in UP`s Lakhimpur Kheri
district involving policemen, Abrar said investigations
revealed there was no rape and murder and it was a case of
suicide. However, probe initiated by Commission showed that it
was a case of rape and murder. She regretted that law
enforcers became law offenders.
Earlier, Abrar met the Mumbai Police Commissioner Arup
Patnaik and discussed with him the security measures
undertaken by police for safety of women in the city.
She said the Commission had set up a national monitoring
committee to look into safety of women and this committee had
embarked upon an exercise to visit various places all over the
country to get a first hand feel of the measures undertaken to
provide security to the fairer sex.
Abrar said the National Commission of Women had suo motu
taken up the recent rape case of Kurar area in Mumbai and
initiated an inquiry into the incident.
Although no one had come forward to register a complaint
in the Kurar rape case, the city police had suo motu taken up
the probe and did a good job, she said.
A TV channel had reported the incident, in which a
20-year-old girl was allegedly raped on May 10 this year by
five youths, including two minors, who subsequently circulated
an MMS of the crime, following which police initiated a probe
into the case.
The Crime Branch also assisted the local police and all
the five accused were arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset