‘Crime rate on rise, rape cases more in UP’
Mumbai: The crime rate is on rise in the
country, more particularly rape incidents which have become a
matter of concern in Uttar Pradesh, Chairperson of National
Commission for Women Yasmeen Abrar said here on Tuesday.
Speaking to reporters, Abrar, who is on a visit to the
city, criticised the UP government saying that the safety
aspect of females in the state was a matter of serious concern
and had gone from bad to worse.
Referring to a recent rape case in UP`s Lakhimpur Kheri
district involving policemen, Abrar said investigations
revealed there was no rape and murder and it was a case of
suicide. However, probe initiated by Commission showed that it
was a case of rape and murder. She regretted that law
enforcers became law offenders.
Earlier, Abrar met the Mumbai Police Commissioner Arup
Patnaik and discussed with him the security measures
undertaken by police for safety of women in the city.
She said the Commission had set up a national monitoring
committee to look into safety of women and this committee had
embarked upon an exercise to visit various places all over the
country to get a first hand feel of the measures undertaken to
provide security to the fairer sex.
Abrar said the National Commission of Women had suo motu
taken up the recent rape case of Kurar area in Mumbai and
initiated an inquiry into the incident.
Although no one had come forward to register a complaint
in the Kurar rape case, the city police had suo motu taken up
the probe and did a good job, she said.
A TV channel had reported the incident, in which a
20-year-old girl was allegedly raped on May 10 this year by
five youths, including two minors, who subsequently circulated
an MMS of the crime, following which police initiated a probe
into the case.
The Crime Branch also assisted the local police and all
the five accused were arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves