‘Crime rate on rise, rape cases more in UP’
Mumbai: The crime rate is on rise in the
country, more particularly rape incidents which have become a
matter of concern in Uttar Pradesh, Chairperson of National
Commission for Women Yasmeen Abrar said here on Tuesday.
Speaking to reporters, Abrar, who is on a visit to the
city, criticised the UP government saying that the safety
aspect of females in the state was a matter of serious concern
and had gone from bad to worse.
Referring to a recent rape case in UP`s Lakhimpur Kheri
district involving policemen, Abrar said investigations
revealed there was no rape and murder and it was a case of
suicide. However, probe initiated by Commission showed that it
was a case of rape and murder. She regretted that law
enforcers became law offenders.
Earlier, Abrar met the Mumbai Police Commissioner Arup
Patnaik and discussed with him the security measures
undertaken by police for safety of women in the city.
She said the Commission had set up a national monitoring
committee to look into safety of women and this committee had
embarked upon an exercise to visit various places all over the
country to get a first hand feel of the measures undertaken to
provide security to the fairer sex.
Abrar said the National Commission of Women had suo motu
taken up the recent rape case of Kurar area in Mumbai and
initiated an inquiry into the incident.
Although no one had come forward to register a complaint
in the Kurar rape case, the city police had suo motu taken up
the probe and did a good job, she said.
A TV channel had reported the incident, in which a
20-year-old girl was allegedly raped on May 10 this year by
five youths, including two minors, who subsequently circulated
an MMS of the crime, following which police initiated a probe
into the case.
The Crime Branch also assisted the local police and all
the five accused were arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP