Crushing on in 118 UP sugar mills
Lucknow: The UP government on Monday said of 128
sugar mills in the state, 118 units have started crushing with
nearly 51 lakh quintal cane being crushed every day.
"As of now 118 mills have started their operations and
remaining 10 units are expected to start crushing by the next
week," Cane and Sugar Industry Minister Naseemuddin Siddiqui
said here during a review meeting.
The minister also directed the department concerned to
conduct surprise raids at cane purchase centres and if any
irregularity was detected district level officers will be
suspended and an inquiry would be ordered against them.
Cooperative and corporation mills can purchase cane on
the rate being offered by private mills after keeping in view
their financial condition, the minister said.
According to Cane Commissioner Sudhir M Bobade, at
present 51 lakh quintal cane are being crushed every day. It
is expected to reach 76 lakh quintal in new few days.
He said the sugar mills are already paying advance price
to the farmers and the mills have already made payments of Rs
187 crore to the farmers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- President tells IIT, IISc-Bangalore and IISER scholars to make India great
- Accident blocks Delhi-Howrah rail route, two dozen trains diverted
- Israel says Abbas reviving old `blood libel` against Jews
- Colombia government, FARC rebels sign ceasefire
- Subramanian Swamy now raises questions on Arvind Kejriwal's admission into IIT