Curfew continues in Faizabad, four officials suspended
Lucknow: Curfew continued for the third consecutive day in Faizabad where communal clashes broke out Wednesday, police said. Though no violence was reported Friday, restrictions were not relaxed as the administration did not want to take any chances ahead of Eid.
Faizabad Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Rimat Sharma told a news agency that the situation was under control but as a matter of abundant caution, the curfew was continuing and security forces continued to be deployed. No violence has been reported since Thursday.
Security forces, including the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) and the Provincial Armed Constabulary (PAC), have been deployed in areas where violence broke out Wednesday evening.
Many vehicles and shops were torched after an idol procession going for immersion was allegedly pelted with stones and a man was stabbed and succumbed to his injuries later.
Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav Friday ordered suspension of four officials, including the additional district magistrate (ADM), city magistrate and the city superintendent of police. Two people were arrested on suspicion of instigating the flare-up.
A total of 13 first information reports (FIRs) have been lodged, Inspector General of Police (Law and Order) Badri Prasad Singh said and added that the role of the senior district officials was under the government scanner.
"Anybody and everybody found involved or guilty of callousness will be punished," a senior home department official told a news agency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...