Curfew continues in Faizabad, four officials suspended
Lucknow: Curfew continued for the third consecutive day in Faizabad where communal clashes broke out Wednesday, police said. Though no violence was reported Friday, restrictions were not relaxed as the administration did not want to take any chances ahead of Eid.
Faizabad Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Rimat Sharma told a news agency that the situation was under control but as a matter of abundant caution, the curfew was continuing and security forces continued to be deployed. No violence has been reported since Thursday.
Security forces, including the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) and the Provincial Armed Constabulary (PAC), have been deployed in areas where violence broke out Wednesday evening.
Many vehicles and shops were torched after an idol procession going for immersion was allegedly pelted with stones and a man was stabbed and succumbed to his injuries later.
Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav Friday ordered suspension of four officials, including the additional district magistrate (ADM), city magistrate and the city superintendent of police. Two people were arrested on suspicion of instigating the flare-up.
A total of 13 first information reports (FIRs) have been lodged, Inspector General of Police (Law and Order) Badri Prasad Singh said and added that the role of the senior district officials was under the government scanner.
"Anybody and everybody found involved or guilty of callousness will be punished," a senior home department official told a news agency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Twist in tale! Lalit Modi to install son Ruchir as Rajasthan Cricket Association boss
- 225 killed or missing in China torrential rains; 2.5 lakh people trapped
- Elvis Presley almost choked himself to death with drugs
- 48 hours on, Indian Air Force's AN 32 still untraceable; families of missing officials pray for good news
- WhatsApp chat between Hrithik Roshan and his mother will give you fitness goals! View inside