Farmers block Yamuna Expressway in Uttar Pradesh
Greater Noida: Scores of farmers on Thursday blocked traffic on the Yamuna Expressway demanding toll free movement on the road.
The farmers protested under the banner of the `Bhartiya Kisan Union` at the zero point of the Expressway.
Police detained over two dozen farmers and took them to police lines.
"Farmers had stopped the traffic at zero point of Yamuna Expressway only for a few minutes. They were detained and sent to police lines. Traffic flow was smooth thereafter," SP (Rural) Ashok Kumar said today.
The farmers said they will send a group at zero point after every few hours and try to block traffic.
"Our demand is that farmers along the Yamuna Expressway should get toll free movement on the Expressway. Service roads have not yet been constructed. Till our demands are met we will continue our protest," the BKU leader said.
Farmers from Tappal have also threatened to block the Expressway. Agra and Mathura farmers are expected to join them. At Jewar, farmers were holding a panchayat to plan the future course of action, he said.
Meanwhile, from 12 midnight, the Yamuna Expressway company has started collecting toll tax for movement on the fast-track road.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Rock stars and celebrities react with dismay to Brexit
- BJP president Amit Shah sounds poll bugle in Uttarakhand; slams Congress, Harish Rawat
- IIFA 2016: Why should Oscars become benchmark to celebrate Indian cinema, asks Anupam Kher
- US floods: 24 dead in West Virginia; search and rescue continues