Farmers block Yamuna Expressway in Uttar Pradesh
Greater Noida: Scores of farmers on Thursday blocked traffic on the Yamuna Expressway demanding toll free movement on the road.
The farmers protested under the banner of the `Bhartiya Kisan Union` at the zero point of the Expressway.
Police detained over two dozen farmers and took them to police lines.
"Farmers had stopped the traffic at zero point of Yamuna Expressway only for a few minutes. They were detained and sent to police lines. Traffic flow was smooth thereafter," SP (Rural) Ashok Kumar said today.
The farmers said they will send a group at zero point after every few hours and try to block traffic.
"Our demand is that farmers along the Yamuna Expressway should get toll free movement on the Expressway. Service roads have not yet been constructed. Till our demands are met we will continue our protest," the BKU leader said.
Farmers from Tappal have also threatened to block the Expressway. Agra and Mathura farmers are expected to join them. At Jewar, farmers were holding a panchayat to plan the future course of action, he said.
Meanwhile, from 12 midnight, the Yamuna Expressway company has started collecting toll tax for movement on the fast-track road.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj