Farmers block Yamuna Expressway in Uttar Pradesh
Greater Noida: Scores of farmers on Thursday blocked traffic on the Yamuna Expressway demanding toll free movement on the road.
The farmers protested under the banner of the `Bhartiya Kisan Union` at the zero point of the Expressway.
Police detained over two dozen farmers and took them to police lines.
"Farmers had stopped the traffic at zero point of Yamuna Expressway only for a few minutes. They were detained and sent to police lines. Traffic flow was smooth thereafter," SP (Rural) Ashok Kumar said today.
The farmers said they will send a group at zero point after every few hours and try to block traffic.
"Our demand is that farmers along the Yamuna Expressway should get toll free movement on the Expressway. Service roads have not yet been constructed. Till our demands are met we will continue our protest," the BKU leader said.
Farmers from Tappal have also threatened to block the Expressway. Agra and Mathura farmers are expected to join them. At Jewar, farmers were holding a panchayat to plan the future course of action, he said.
Meanwhile, from 12 midnight, the Yamuna Expressway company has started collecting toll tax for movement on the fast-track road.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next