Farmers go on rampage in UP`s Bulandshahr
Lucknow: Hundreds of farmers, protesting the alleged black marketing of fertilisers by cooperative institutions, damaged several vehicles and public property, and clashed with the police in Uttar Pradesh`s Bulandshahr district Monday, officials said.
Police used batons to disperse the crowd of angry farmers in the Nai Mandi area of Bulandshahr, some 400-km from Lucknow.
"We had to use force after the farmers turned unruly and started violent protests alleging black marketing of Di-ammonium phosphate (DAP) fertiliser," police inspector N.K. Singh told reporters in Bulandshahr.
Even as officials said no one was seriously injured in the incident, farmers alleged nearly 15 people were injured, four of them critically, in the incident and taken to a hospital.
Farmers alleged that the cooperative outlets in most places remained closed in daytime and open in the night for black marketing and selling the fertilisers at exorbitant prices.
Additional security has been deployed in the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing