Farmers go on rampage in UP`s Bulandshahr
Lucknow: Hundreds of farmers, protesting the alleged black marketing of fertilisers by cooperative institutions, damaged several vehicles and public property, and clashed with the police in Uttar Pradesh`s Bulandshahr district Monday, officials said.
Police used batons to disperse the crowd of angry farmers in the Nai Mandi area of Bulandshahr, some 400-km from Lucknow.
"We had to use force after the farmers turned unruly and started violent protests alleging black marketing of Di-ammonium phosphate (DAP) fertiliser," police inspector N.K. Singh told reporters in Bulandshahr.
Even as officials said no one was seriously injured in the incident, farmers alleged nearly 15 people were injured, four of them critically, in the incident and taken to a hospital.
Farmers alleged that the cooperative outlets in most places remained closed in daytime and open in the night for black marketing and selling the fertilisers at exorbitant prices.
Additional security has been deployed in the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray