HC lawyers decide to resume judicial work from Thursday
Allahabad: Advocates of the Allahabad High Court today decided to resume judicial work from Thursday, ending a fortnight-long stir in protest against the proposed creation of a separate bench for western Uttar Pradesh.
A decision to this effect was announced at a general body meeting of the High Court Bar Association which was addressed by its president Kandarp Narayan Mishra and secretary Prabha Shankar Mishra.
The HCBA office-bearers informed the agitating lawyers that in view of "assurances received from Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav and Chief Justice Shiva Kirti Singh, we shall resume judicial work when the court reopens after the Janmashtami holiday tomorrow".
The High Court Bar Association (HCBA) had begun its agitation on August 13 in the wake of the Union Law Minister Kapil Sibal having reportedly sought the approval of the state government for creation of a separate bench of the High Court.
Significantly, the decision to resume work came a day after the lawyers` stir had hit a crescendo with hundreds of advocates here courting arrest as a mark of protest against attempts by legal practitioners of western UP to press the demand for a separate bench by making an unsuccessful bid to gherao the Taj Mahal at Agra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!