HC lawyers decide to resume judicial work from Thursday
Allahabad: Advocates of the Allahabad High Court today decided to resume judicial work from Thursday, ending a fortnight-long stir in protest against the proposed creation of a separate bench for western Uttar Pradesh.
A decision to this effect was announced at a general body meeting of the High Court Bar Association which was addressed by its president Kandarp Narayan Mishra and secretary Prabha Shankar Mishra.
The HCBA office-bearers informed the agitating lawyers that in view of "assurances received from Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav and Chief Justice Shiva Kirti Singh, we shall resume judicial work when the court reopens after the Janmashtami holiday tomorrow".
The High Court Bar Association (HCBA) had begun its agitation on August 13 in the wake of the Union Law Minister Kapil Sibal having reportedly sought the approval of the state government for creation of a separate bench of the High Court.
Significantly, the decision to resume work came a day after the lawyers` stir had hit a crescendo with hundreds of advocates here courting arrest as a mark of protest against attempts by legal practitioners of western UP to press the demand for a separate bench by making an unsuccessful bid to gherao the Taj Mahal at Agra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city