Heavy rain kills 15 in Uttar Pradesh
Lucknow: At least 15 people were killed in rain-related incidents as heavy showers lashed eastern and western parts of Uttar Pradesh in the past 24 hours.
Five people were killed in Sultanpur, four each in Mau and Ghazipur and one each in Gonda and Azamgarh in separate incidents like wall collapse and lightning.
Met office sources here said extremely heavy rain lashed isolated places over eastern UP and moderate to rather heavy rain and thundershowers occurred at many places over western UP.
The sources forecast rain and thundershowers at most places in the state and at many places over western UP. It warned that heavy to very heavy rain would occur at one or two places over the state during next 24 hours.
Central Water Commission sources said that most of the rivers were in spate following heavy rains.
While Ganga was rising in Fatehgarh, it was already flowing above the red mark at Ballia and Sharda was also above the red mark.
Ghaghra was rising, specially at Elgin bridge and was flowing well above the red mark at Elgin Bridge, Ayodhya, Turtipar, the sources said, adding, that Rapti was rising at Balrampur and Quano was also above the danger mark at Chandradeepghat (Gonda).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- One killed, 30 wounded by explosions in southern Thailand – police
- Iraq summons its envoy to Portugal over teenager assault
- Cara Delevingne, Amber Heard turned away from strip club
- Obama promises aid to help Louisiana fully recover from flooding
- US investigating non-travel Zika case in new area in Florida