Heavy rain kills 15 in Uttar Pradesh
Lucknow: At least 15 people were killed in rain-related incidents as heavy showers lashed eastern and western parts of Uttar Pradesh in the past 24 hours.
Five people were killed in Sultanpur, four each in Mau and Ghazipur and one each in Gonda and Azamgarh in separate incidents like wall collapse and lightning.
Met office sources here said extremely heavy rain lashed isolated places over eastern UP and moderate to rather heavy rain and thundershowers occurred at many places over western UP.
The sources forecast rain and thundershowers at most places in the state and at many places over western UP. It warned that heavy to very heavy rain would occur at one or two places over the state during next 24 hours.
Central Water Commission sources said that most of the rivers were in spate following heavy rains.
While Ganga was rising in Fatehgarh, it was already flowing above the red mark at Ballia and Sharda was also above the red mark.
Ghaghra was rising, specially at Elgin bridge and was flowing well above the red mark at Elgin Bridge, Ayodhya, Turtipar, the sources said, adding, that Rapti was rising at Balrampur and Quano was also above the danger mark at Chandradeepghat (Gonda).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- PM Modi's 10th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat': As it happened
- Anna Hazare extends support to ex-servicemen over OROP protests
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday