Independent candidate for Kolasla by-poll arrested
Varanasi: An Independent candidate was
on Wednesday arrested while protesting against alleged harassment of
his supporters during the campaign for the November 7
by-elections to Kolasla assembly segment here.
Ajay Rai, a former minister who quit BJP during the Lok
Sabha elections, said that he was arrested while he
opposed alleged actions of some police officers who exerted
pressure on his supporters to work for nominee of ruling BSP.
DIG P C Meena said Rai was arrested along with his seven
supporters for obstructing government officials in their duty.
Rai claimed that he had informed the Election Commission
and poll observer in the constituency about the
Rai had left the BJP during the last Lok Sabha elections
when he was not given party ticket from Varanasi constituency
and joined the SP. Later he quit the SP also.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling