Kannauj Lok Sabha bypoll is slated for June 24
Lucknow: The two-month-old Akhilesh Yadav government in the state is set to face the first test of its popularity or the lack of it as the Kannauj Lok Sabha constituency goes for a bypoll.
According to the Election Commission (EC) schedule announced on Tuesday, voting for the Kannauj Lok Sabha seat will be held on June 24. The votes will be counted on June 27.
The notification for the bypoll would be issued on May 30. The last date for filing nominations is June 6 and after scrutiny the next day, the last date for withdrawal of nominations has been fixed on June 9, Chief Electoral Officer (UP) Umesh Sinha said.
The Kannauj seat fell vacant after its three-time member of parliament Akhilesh Yadav was elected the chief minister of Uttar Pradesh, forcing a bypoll.
The seat falls in the party pocket borough of the Farrukhabad belt, which had traditionally voted for the Socialist Party candidates and sent the party supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav to the Lok Sabha once.
Considered a safe seat, the SP chief had chosen it for his son`s political debut and fielded him in the fray in 2000.
Rumours are rife that Akhilesh`s better half Dimple would be contesting a bypoll and make her foray into politics. She had earlier been introduced to politics in the 2009 bypoll from Firozabad parliamentary seat, but lost the contest to cine star-turned politician and Congress candidate Raj Babbar.
With the announcement of the bypoll, the model code of conduct has also come into force. The state government or any other party would not be able to announce any sops, affecting the voting pattern, election officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi