Kanpur jail starts video conferencing of trials
Kanpur: Kanpur District Jail has become the first prison in Uttar Pradesh to launch video conferencing facility for hearing cases.
Those accused of petty crimes or against whom a chargesheet has not been submitted in court will be brought before a magistrate for questioning through video conferencing, Rudresh Narayan Pandey, Superintendent of Jail, said.
A video camera, big screen and computer have been installed in the prison and Kanpur District Court for the purpose, he said.
However, inmates who are accused of heinous crimes or whose cases are already being heard by the court will not be brought forward through this method, he said.
The trial phase will be conducted tomorrow with the cases of five accused being taken up, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part III
- CM Mehbooba Mufti favours abrogation of AFSPA from parts of J&K; says if successful it can be revoked in entirety
- EPFO likely to raise equity investment to 10%
- West Indies vs India: Statistical highlights — Records for Saha, pace pair Shami and Yadav
- West Indies vs India, 1st Test: 5-star Ashwin dominates hosts on Day 4
- Televangelist Zakir Naik's aides make startling revelations, it will shock you -- Read