Kanpur jail starts video conferencing of trials
Kanpur: Kanpur District Jail has become the first prison in Uttar Pradesh to launch video conferencing facility for hearing cases.
Those accused of petty crimes or against whom a chargesheet has not been submitted in court will be brought before a magistrate for questioning through video conferencing, Rudresh Narayan Pandey, Superintendent of Jail, said.
A video camera, big screen and computer have been installed in the prison and Kanpur District Court for the purpose, he said.
However, inmates who are accused of heinous crimes or whose cases are already being heard by the court will not be brought forward through this method, he said.
The trial phase will be conducted tomorrow with the cases of five accused being taken up, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder