Land acquisition: Mutiny at Maya’s village!
Allahabad: In a fresh trouble to Mayawati
government, farmers from the Chief Minister`s village on Wednesday
filed pleas in the Allahabad High Court challenging
acquisition of more than 200 hectares and alleged that plots
belonging to "influential" land-owners were exempted in a
"Altogether 50 farmers from Badalpur village in Gautam
Buddh Nagar district have filed their petitions. They have
challenged the acquisition of 230 hectares falling in the
village by the state government vide notifications issued in
the year 2008," petitioners` lawyer V M Zaidi told reporters.
Zaidi said the petitioners have alleged that the state
government had acquired the land by invoking the urgency
clause that the land was needed for industrial development of
"The farmers` contention is that in this way they were
denied the opportunity to raise objections or bargain for
adequate compensation. Yet, a number of influential farmers in
the village were granted exemption from the acquisition in a
discriminatory and arbitrary manner," the lawyer said.
The government is under attack for acquiring land in a
number of villages in Gautam Buddh Nagar district for
developing the Noida Extension areas.
Acquisition of more than 150 hectares in a village was
set aside by the High Court and the state government`s appeal
against the judgement was turned down by the Supreme Court
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?