Lawyers go on strike to press for HC bench in western UP
Muzaffarnagar/Meerut: Judicial work in over 12 districts of western Uttar Pradesh came to a standstill on Friday as lawyers boycotted courts to demand setting up of a separate bench of Allahabad High Court in the region.
Litigants faced inconvenience as judicial work in districts Muzaffarnagar, Bijnor, Saharanpur, Bulandshahr, Meerut, and Baghpat was adversely affected due to the strike.
The call for the lawyers` boycott was given by an action committee in Muzaffarnagar district.
President of District Bar Association Thakur Anup Singh said the agitating lawyers staged a dharna outside the office of district magistrate today to press their demand for a separate bench of High Court in western UP and a memorandum in this regard was sent to Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav.
The lawyers here have long been raising the issue in view of the inconvenience faced by litigants belonging to other regions of the state, Singh said.
At present, Allahabad High Court has only one additional bench, at Lucknow, which caters to about a dozen districts situated in the vicinity of the state capital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter