Lawyers go on strike to press for HC bench in western UP
Muzaffarnagar/Meerut: Judicial work in over 12 districts of western Uttar Pradesh came to a standstill on Friday as lawyers boycotted courts to demand setting up of a separate bench of Allahabad High Court in the region.
Litigants faced inconvenience as judicial work in districts Muzaffarnagar, Bijnor, Saharanpur, Bulandshahr, Meerut, and Baghpat was adversely affected due to the strike.
The call for the lawyers` boycott was given by an action committee in Muzaffarnagar district.
President of District Bar Association Thakur Anup Singh said the agitating lawyers staged a dharna outside the office of district magistrate today to press their demand for a separate bench of High Court in western UP and a memorandum in this regard was sent to Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav.
The lawyers here have long been raising the issue in view of the inconvenience faced by litigants belonging to other regions of the state, Singh said.
At present, Allahabad High Court has only one additional bench, at Lucknow, which caters to about a dozen districts situated in the vicinity of the state capital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit!
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"