Local bodies polls in UP next month
Allahabad: Local bodies elections in Uttar Pradesh will be held next month in which EVMs are likely to be used for the first time, a top Election Commission official said here on Tuesday.
"The State Election Commission is determined to conduct the local bodies elections in June 2012. We have decided to complete the process in four phases.
"Our aim is to ensure that the election process for all civic bodies in a district -- Nagar Nigam, Nagar Palika Parishad and Nagar Panchayat -- is completed in a single phase," State Election Commissioner S K Agrawal told reporters here.
He said it had been decided to hold elections for Mayors and members of the Nagar Nigam with the help of EVMs while the use of ballot papers would continue in Nagar Palika Parishad and Nagar Panchayat polls.
Agrawal said the State Election Commission was looking forward to conduct the polls "without seeking deployment of central para-military forces at booths".
The state police and the Provincial Armed Constabulary will ensure free and fair elections and keep a check on anti-social elements, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested