Local bodies polls in UP next month
Allahabad: Local bodies elections in Uttar Pradesh will be held next month in which EVMs are likely to be used for the first time, a top Election Commission official said here on Tuesday.
"The State Election Commission is determined to conduct the local bodies elections in June 2012. We have decided to complete the process in four phases.
"Our aim is to ensure that the election process for all civic bodies in a district -- Nagar Nigam, Nagar Palika Parishad and Nagar Panchayat -- is completed in a single phase," State Election Commissioner S K Agrawal told reporters here.
He said it had been decided to hold elections for Mayors and members of the Nagar Nigam with the help of EVMs while the use of ballot papers would continue in Nagar Palika Parishad and Nagar Panchayat polls.
Agrawal said the State Election Commission was looking forward to conduct the polls "without seeking deployment of central para-military forces at booths".
The state police and the Provincial Armed Constabulary will ensure free and fair elections and keep a check on anti-social elements, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh