Local bodies polls in UP next month
Allahabad: Local bodies elections in Uttar Pradesh will be held next month in which EVMs are likely to be used for the first time, a top Election Commission official said here on Tuesday.
"The State Election Commission is determined to conduct the local bodies elections in June 2012. We have decided to complete the process in four phases.
"Our aim is to ensure that the election process for all civic bodies in a district -- Nagar Nigam, Nagar Palika Parishad and Nagar Panchayat -- is completed in a single phase," State Election Commissioner S K Agrawal told reporters here.
He said it had been decided to hold elections for Mayors and members of the Nagar Nigam with the help of EVMs while the use of ballot papers would continue in Nagar Palika Parishad and Nagar Panchayat polls.
Agrawal said the State Election Commission was looking forward to conduct the polls "without seeking deployment of central para-military forces at booths".
The state police and the Provincial Armed Constabulary will ensure free and fair elections and keep a check on anti-social elements, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali