Lucknow`s iconic Coffee House locked
Lucknow: The iconic Coffee House in the state capital of Uttar Pradesh has been locked, owing to a dispute between office bearers of the cooperative society running it that threatened public order, police said on Monday.
City police ordered the closure of the coffee house, home to hundreds of commoners, intellectuals, journalists and some big names in politics of the past.
Situated in Hazratganj, the Coffee House has been the hub of many intellectual conversations. After a long spell of being closed on account of stiff competition, it had reopened a few years back.
Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Lucknow J. Ravinder Gaur told IANS that there was a simmering dispute between Aruna Singh and Anand Kumar Singh, as both claimed control over the Coffee House.
"Both these persons have been claiming that they were secretary of Indian Coffee House Workers Cooperative Society Limited, and to us it looked like a potential trouble spot. We decided that until the matter is settled at the deputy registrar level, Coffee House shutters would be downed," a senior police official said.
The matter of "control" is pending before the office of the deputy registrar, cooperatives. Once the issue of ownership and control is settled, the police will hand over the keys to the legal claimant, officials said.
Aruna Singh, who was technically running the coffee house, has alleged that Anand Singh manipulated the police into this action.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues