Lucknow`s iconic Coffee House locked
Lucknow: The iconic Coffee House in the state capital of Uttar Pradesh has been locked, owing to a dispute between office bearers of the cooperative society running it that threatened public order, police said on Monday.
City police ordered the closure of the coffee house, home to hundreds of commoners, intellectuals, journalists and some big names in politics of the past.
Situated in Hazratganj, the Coffee House has been the hub of many intellectual conversations. After a long spell of being closed on account of stiff competition, it had reopened a few years back.
Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Lucknow J. Ravinder Gaur told IANS that there was a simmering dispute between Aruna Singh and Anand Kumar Singh, as both claimed control over the Coffee House.
"Both these persons have been claiming that they were secretary of Indian Coffee House Workers Cooperative Society Limited, and to us it looked like a potential trouble spot. We decided that until the matter is settled at the deputy registrar level, Coffee House shutters would be downed," a senior police official said.
The matter of "control" is pending before the office of the deputy registrar, cooperatives. Once the issue of ownership and control is settled, the police will hand over the keys to the legal claimant, officials said.
Aruna Singh, who was technically running the coffee house, has alleged that Anand Singh manipulated the police into this action.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know