Magistrate, policemen suspended during kavad yatra in UP
Muzaffarnagar: A sector magistrate and 19
police officials have been suspended for dereliction of duty during the kavad yatra here.
"A Sector Magistrate, six Sub Inspectors and 13 other
policemen were suspended yesterday while a day`s salary of 68
policemen was deducted for being absent from duty during kavad
yatra," District Magistrate Santosh Kumar said Monday.
In a step to ensure peaceful and smooth passage of pilgrims, sector magistrates and police personnel have been deployed along the route of the kavad yatra.
Security has been tightened along the Delhi-Haridwar National Highway.
Kavad pilgrims or devotees of Lord Shiva, who call
themselves `kanvariyas`, gather at Haridwar to take a dip in
the Ganga river and carry holy water to offer to the Lord.
They are expected to reach Haridwar on August 8 this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days