Magistrate, policemen suspended during kavad yatra in UP
Muzaffarnagar: A sector magistrate and 19
police officials have been suspended for dereliction of duty during the kavad yatra here.
"A Sector Magistrate, six Sub Inspectors and 13 other
policemen were suspended yesterday while a day`s salary of 68
policemen was deducted for being absent from duty during kavad
yatra," District Magistrate Santosh Kumar said Monday.
In a step to ensure peaceful and smooth passage of pilgrims, sector magistrates and police personnel have been deployed along the route of the kavad yatra.
Security has been tightened along the Delhi-Haridwar National Highway.
Kavad pilgrims or devotees of Lord Shiva, who call
themselves `kanvariyas`, gather at Haridwar to take a dip in
the Ganga river and carry holy water to offer to the Lord.
They are expected to reach Haridwar on August 8 this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read