Magistrate, policemen suspended during kavad yatra in UP
Muzaffarnagar: A sector magistrate and 19
police officials have been suspended for dereliction of duty during the kavad yatra here.
"A Sector Magistrate, six Sub Inspectors and 13 other
policemen were suspended yesterday while a day`s salary of 68
policemen was deducted for being absent from duty during kavad
yatra," District Magistrate Santosh Kumar said Monday.
In a step to ensure peaceful and smooth passage of pilgrims, sector magistrates and police personnel have been deployed along the route of the kavad yatra.
Security has been tightened along the Delhi-Haridwar National Highway.
Kavad pilgrims or devotees of Lord Shiva, who call
themselves `kanvariyas`, gather at Haridwar to take a dip in
the Ganga river and carry holy water to offer to the Lord.
They are expected to reach Haridwar on August 8 this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet