Maha Kumbh: HC asks UP to release 3,500 cusecs water in Ganga
Allahabad: Expressing dissatisfaction over the quality and quantity of water in the Ganga river, the Allahabad High Court on Wednesday directed the UP government to release 3,500 cusecs of water prior to the main bathing days in the ongoing Maha Kumbh.
A division bench comprising Justices Ashok Bhushan and Arun Tandon, expressed dissatisfaction over the "quality and quantity" of water in the Ganga at its confluence with the Yamuna here, and asked the state to ensure release of 3,500 cusecs of water prior to the main bathing days as against 2,500 cusecs on normal days.
The order came on a petition relating to pollution in the river.
The court fixed February 14 as the next date of hearing.
The Maha Kumbh comes to a close on March 10, coinciding with Mahashivaratri.
The main bathing festivals falling in between are Mauni Amavasya (February 10), Basant Panchmi (February 15) and Magh Poornima (February 25).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Counting underway - Big prestige battle for BJP and Shiv Sena
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Election Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena marches ahead in Mumbai, but BJP gains lead in Pune, Nashik