Maha Kumbh: HC asks UP to release 3,500 cusecs water in Ganga
Allahabad: Expressing dissatisfaction over the quality and quantity of water in the Ganga river, the Allahabad High Court on Wednesday directed the UP government to release 3,500 cusecs of water prior to the main bathing days in the ongoing Maha Kumbh.
A division bench comprising Justices Ashok Bhushan and Arun Tandon, expressed dissatisfaction over the "quality and quantity" of water in the Ganga at its confluence with the Yamuna here, and asked the state to ensure release of 3,500 cusecs of water prior to the main bathing days as against 2,500 cusecs on normal days.
The order came on a petition relating to pollution in the river.
The court fixed February 14 as the next date of hearing.
The Maha Kumbh comes to a close on March 10, coinciding with Mahashivaratri.
The main bathing festivals falling in between are Mauni Amavasya (February 10), Basant Panchmi (February 15) and Magh Poornima (February 25).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love