Man arrested with five leopard skins
Pithoragarh: A man has been caught with five leopard skins and sent to jail under several sections of Wildlife Protection Act, a forest official said Monday.
Gopi, resident of Punjab, has been arrested last night under various sections of Wildlife Protection Act, said BS Almia, forest officer of Pithoragarh range.
According to Almia, the smuggler, who has claimed to have purchased these skins from local persons in Rs 8 to 10 thousands, has relations with Kanjar groups which are frequently traversing in Himalayan region in search of these hauls.
After investigation, the smuggler told the forest team that he has connection with other team members involved in the trade at Kotdwar, Nepal and other parts of Himalayan region, Almia said.
The culprit, who has been living at Rin Bichula village near the district headquarter under pretext of a blacksmith has over the years spread his contacts with local youths and persuaded them to kill wild animals, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh