Man arrested with five leopard skins
Pithoragarh: A man has been caught with five leopard skins and sent to jail under several sections of Wildlife Protection Act, a forest official said Monday.
Gopi, resident of Punjab, has been arrested last night under various sections of Wildlife Protection Act, said BS Almia, forest officer of Pithoragarh range.
According to Almia, the smuggler, who has claimed to have purchased these skins from local persons in Rs 8 to 10 thousands, has relations with Kanjar groups which are frequently traversing in Himalayan region in search of these hauls.
After investigation, the smuggler told the forest team that he has connection with other team members involved in the trade at Kotdwar, Nepal and other parts of Himalayan region, Almia said.
The culprit, who has been living at Rin Bichula village near the district headquarter under pretext of a blacksmith has over the years spread his contacts with local youths and persuaded them to kill wild animals, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations