Man arrested with five leopard skins
Pithoragarh: A man has been caught with five leopard skins and sent to jail under several sections of Wildlife Protection Act, a forest official said Monday.
Gopi, resident of Punjab, has been arrested last night under various sections of Wildlife Protection Act, said BS Almia, forest officer of Pithoragarh range.
According to Almia, the smuggler, who has claimed to have purchased these skins from local persons in Rs 8 to 10 thousands, has relations with Kanjar groups which are frequently traversing in Himalayan region in search of these hauls.
After investigation, the smuggler told the forest team that he has connection with other team members involved in the trade at Kotdwar, Nepal and other parts of Himalayan region, Almia said.
The culprit, who has been living at Rin Bichula village near the district headquarter under pretext of a blacksmith has over the years spread his contacts with local youths and persuaded them to kill wild animals, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- DoT to issue demand notices this week to 6 telcos for 2006-07
- Not Virat Kohli but Joe Root is the best batsman in cricket: Muhammad Yousuf
- Priyanka Chopra to join Hollywood stars for anti-poverty concert
- Cleanliness an issue at railway stations, needs to be addressed: CAG
- Bhagwant Mann video exposed whole security system of Parliament, finds Lok Sabha probe panel