Maya`s supplementary budget passed, 10% for Dalit memorials, parks
Lucknow: Cocking a snook at critics of Chief
Minister Mayawati, Uttar Pradesh government will spend Rs 490
crore more for setting up parks and memorials for Dalit icons,
nearly 10 per cent of the supplementary budget passed by the
state assembly today amid uproarious scenes.
Of the Rs 490 crore, an amount of Rs 409.41 crore has
been earmarked by the Mayawati government for Kanshi Ram Green
Eco garden coming up at the Jail Road in the state capital.
The supplementary demands for grants totals Rs 5461.72
crore. In the regular budget presented on February 4, the
government had made a provision of over Rs 700 crore for
statues, parks and memorials in grants of different
The House passed the demands by voice vote after the BJP
and the Congress staged walkouts demanding a discussion on the
provision relating to grants for setting up parks and upkeep
of memorials in the name of Kanshi Ram and other Dalit
With Samajwadi Party members storming the well over a
different issue, the supplementary demands were passed amid
The supplementary demands was presented by the government
yesterday in the Vidhan Sabha.
A provision of over Rs 82 crore was also made for the
upkeep of Kanshi Ram Smarak Sthal and Dr Bhim Rao Samajik
Later talking to reporters, Congress Legislature Party
Leader Pramod Tewari alleged the BSP government was indulging
in gross financial indiscipline.
This had forced it to bring the supplementary demands
just four months after the annual budget, he said, adding this
would further burden the common man.
BJP leader Satish Mahana said the Mayawati government
had enough money for parks and memorials but nothing for the
The BJP members wanted to speak on the matter but could
not do so as bedlam prevailed in the House and decided to
stage a walkout, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu launches India's first green rail corridor in Tamil Nadu
- UP: 8 children killed as train hits school mini-bus in Bhadohi
- China, North Korea envoys hold talks in Laos
- If Narsingh Yadav is found guilty, Sushil Kumar cannot replace him for Rio Olympics – Here's why!
- Rohit Bal's fusion of bling and royalty draws curtain on India Couture Week
- Watch 'Kala Chashma' teaser: Check out Katrina Kaif-Sidharth Malhotra's desi swag
- Navjot Singh Sidhu says he quit Rajya Sabha because he was told to stay away from Punjab