Muzaffarnagar violence: Arrest warrants against politicians
Zee Media Bureau
Lucknow: A local court on Wednesday issued arrest warrants against leaders of Bahujan Samajwadi Party, Bharatiya Janata Party and Congress on Monday for allegedly inciting violence in Muzaffarnagar and adjoining areas.
The arrest warrants have been issued against BSP leaders Qadir Rana, Jameel Ahmed and Noor Salim Rana, former Congress MP Saedduzzaman and BJP leaders Hukum Singh, Sangat Singh Som, Suresh Rana and Kunwar Bharatendu. Bharatiya Kisan Union leaders Rakesh Tikait and Naresh Tikait are also on the list.
Meanwhile, BJP MLA Sangeet Som has denied the allegations levelled against him and said that he is ready to face probe.
Heavy security has been placed in the UP Assembly to avert any untoward incident following the issuance of arrest warrants.
Reacting to the developments, senior BJP leader Venkaiah Naidu said, "The UP government is pursuing the agenda of vote bank politics and politics of appeasement. It must be dismissed."
"Because of SP`s failure this incident happened, we demand this government be dismissed and President`s Rule be imposed."
Forty-eight people have been killed in the violence which erupted in the district between two communities. And around 40,000 people have taken refuge in more than 30 relief camps set up in Muzaffarnagar and Shamli districts.
The incident was sparked off when an alleged case of sexual harassment led to three youth being killed in Kawaal village on August 27.
A `mahapanchayat` or gathering of village councils was held a few days later, which led to communal clashes in Muzaffarnagar and nearby areas, forcing the government to call in the Army to control the situation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read