Muzaffarnagar violence: Arrest warrants against politicians
Zee Media Bureau
Lucknow: A local court on Wednesday issued arrest warrants against leaders of Bahujan Samajwadi Party, Bharatiya Janata Party and Congress on Monday for allegedly inciting violence in Muzaffarnagar and adjoining areas.
The arrest warrants have been issued against BSP leaders Qadir Rana, Jameel Ahmed and Noor Salim Rana, former Congress MP Saedduzzaman and BJP leaders Hukum Singh, Sangat Singh Som, Suresh Rana and Kunwar Bharatendu. Bharatiya Kisan Union leaders Rakesh Tikait and Naresh Tikait are also on the list.
Meanwhile, BJP MLA Sangeet Som has denied the allegations levelled against him and said that he is ready to face probe.
Heavy security has been placed in the UP Assembly to avert any untoward incident following the issuance of arrest warrants.
Reacting to the developments, senior BJP leader Venkaiah Naidu said, "The UP government is pursuing the agenda of vote bank politics and politics of appeasement. It must be dismissed."
"Because of SP`s failure this incident happened, we demand this government be dismissed and President`s Rule be imposed."
Forty-eight people have been killed in the violence which erupted in the district between two communities. And around 40,000 people have taken refuge in more than 30 relief camps set up in Muzaffarnagar and Shamli districts.
The incident was sparked off when an alleged case of sexual harassment led to three youth being killed in Kawaal village on August 27.
A `mahapanchayat` or gathering of village councils was held a few days later, which led to communal clashes in Muzaffarnagar and nearby areas, forcing the government to call in the Army to control the situation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder