NHRC notice to police officials over woman`s death in UP
New Delhi: The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has sought reports from the Ghaziabad police and Government Railway Police over the death of a woman who was allegedly pushed off a train with her infant daughter.
The commission has issued notices to the senior superintendent of police (SSP) Ghaziabad, and the SSP of the city`s railway police, directing them to submit their reports over the incident within a month.
"Notices have been issued to the SSP Ghaziabad and the SSP Government Railway Police, Ghaziabad, calling for reports within four weeks," said a statement from NHRC late Friday.
The NHRC issued the notices after taking note of some media reports, according to which the woman and her infant daughter were pushed off a train in the Link Road area of Uttar Pradesh`s Ghaziabad district May 13.
The commission observed that the contents of the reports, if true, "raise a serious issue of violation of human rights and safety of women travelling in trains".
As per the media reports, eyewitnesses said that she was pushed off the moving train. But police are yet to establish the reason behind her fall.
Police said that locals spotted the woman and her five-month-old girl lying on the tracks near the Maharajpur railway crossing. The woman was rushed to a hospital and then referred to the GTB Hospital in Delhi where she was declared dead. The condition of the baby is stated to be critical.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday