Rahul`s security must be taken care of: Soni
New Delhi: Union Minister Ambika Soni on Thursday sought "proper" security for Rahul Gandhi after a youth carrying a revolver was detained while trying to move close to the Congress leader during his padayatra in Uttar Pradesh.
"The security for people like Rahul Gandhi must be taken care of and proper steps taken," Soni said when asked about the incident.
The man with a licensed .32 bore revolver was nabbed by Special Protection Group personnel accompanying Rahul, when he was found heading towards the second ring of the AICC general secretary`s security cordon.
However, a senior police officer SSP Satyendra Vir Singh ruled out any malafide, saying "It is not blatant security breach. The man is a properly verified person. There is nothing adverse against him in the police records ...."
Rahul is in Tappal on the third day of his padayatra and was headed towards Aligarh town for the Congress-backed `Kisan Mahapanchayat` on Saturday. Five persons, including a policeman and four farmers, were killed in violent protests at
Tappal last August during a land agitation by farmers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- DNA: Today in History, 18th February, 2017
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal