Rains throw life out of gear in Lucknow
Lucknow: Heavy rains continued to batter the state capital for the second consecutive day Saturday. The weather department has predicted wet days till next week.
Rains began here midnight, a day after the city recorded its heaviest downpour - 150 mm plus of rains in a single day - in the entire monsoon season this year.
The weatherman says the conditions would "more or less" be the same for the next two days, owing to a low pressure area over central Uttar Pradesh and the passing of a monsoon trough line over Lucknow, Shahjahanpur and Azamgarh.
Following the heavy rains, two major house collapses were reported in the city, killing four.
A policeman was electrocuted inside Gosainganj police station. And at other places water inundated several residential colonies, some with neck deep water.
The Lucknow Municipal Corporation also threw up its hands in despair citing the "volume of the terrible rains".
Angry residents aired their disappointment at the sewerage and accused the civic authorities of unpreparedness and callousness.
"We are standing in neck deep water here and we have no one to our rescue," said an angry Ram Lakhan Srivastava here.
Pumps were pressed into service since Saturday morning in water-logged colonies and roads.
Water entered many departments in the King George`s Medical College (KGMC) and patients had to be evacuated from some wards. The medicine and the paedeatric department were flooded in knee-deep water. The OPD was hit at two other government hospitals - Balrampur and Civil hospital, said officials.
Rail traffic has also been hit and trains like the Lucknow Mail, the Doon Express and Chandigarh Express ran late by several hours. Running schedule of trains like Pushpak Express, Lucknow-Gorakhpur Express, Chitrakoot Express, Kaifiyat Express have also been disturbed, railway officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt