RLD forms front of smaller parties in UP
Lucknow: Claiming that people of Uttar
Pradesh want an alternative to BSP supremo Mayawati, Rashtriya
Lok Dal Wednesday announced the formation of a front with smaller
parties including Peace Party and Indian Justice Party, ahead
of the state Assembly polls scheduled next year.
"People of the state are looking for an alternative to
BSP supremo Mayawati and to provide that alternative a front
with PP, IJP, Bhartiya Samaj Party, Itehad-e-Millat Council
and Janwadi Party has been formed," party leader Ajit Singh
told reporters here.
He said as of now no serious talks have been held with
either Samajwadi Party or the Congress to forge a pre-poll
"There is a possibility of forming an alliance with SP or
Congress in future, but any decision will be taken in
consultation with allies of the front," the RLD supremo said.
He said that the front will jointly contest Assembly
elections and its name and programmes will be decided in a
meeting to be held next week.
"Policy of seat sharing between the front allies will be
decided later," he said.
Singh said the objective of the front is to give an
honest government, to ensure social justice and to put a check
on the criminalisation of politics.
Dismissing reports that the party was planning to jointly
form a government with BSP or BJP, he said that RLD will not
forge any alliance either with the BSP or BJP.
Terming recent amendment in local bodies act to change
election process of mayors and chairmen, Singh announced to
challenge the move in the court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- 'Can you spare USD10 to help elect a billionaire?' - Trump emails
- 'Narasimha Rao's pro Hindu mindset led to Babri mosque demolition'
- Brexit: Germany, France, Italy vow `new impulse` for European Union
- Euro 2016: Holders Spain knocked out by Italy in last 16
- 19 dead in bomb attacks on ex-Qaeda bastion in Yemen