RTI queries on character of husbands-to-be
Meerut: In what can be called making unique
use of the Right to Information (RTI), Meerut police has
received as many as 375 requests under the Act seeking to know
the criminal backgrounds of prospective grooms.
"In the past one year, we have received 375 queries under
RTI asking us about the criminal backgrounds and conduct of
prospective grooms," Superintendent of Police (Crime), Meerut,
Shafiq Ahamed said.
He said of the total queries received under the RTI Act,
44 were from Meerut district, 21 from Bagpat district, 53 from
Ghaziabad, 75 from Muzaffarnagar and 53 from Saharanpur.
In the latest case, two young women from Saharanpur and
Anupshahr have sought to know under the RTI about the conduct
of their husbands-to-be, the SP said.
Police is probing if the men they have asked about have
criminal background and authenticated information would soon
be sent to the two girls, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port
- French Open 2016: Andy Murray, Stan Wawrinka face Czech challenge in Paris
- Iraq PM announces start of operation to retake Fallujah
- Amnesty warns Yemen civilians face cluster bombs `minefields`
- KTM 1290 Super Duke R based Husqvarna 1301 spotted testing
- 17 girls dead in fire at school dormitory in Thailand