RTI queries on character of husbands-to-be
Meerut: In what can be called making unique
use of the Right to Information (RTI), Meerut police has
received as many as 375 requests under the Act seeking to know
the criminal backgrounds of prospective grooms.
"In the past one year, we have received 375 queries under
RTI asking us about the criminal backgrounds and conduct of
prospective grooms," Superintendent of Police (Crime), Meerut,
Shafiq Ahamed said.
He said of the total queries received under the RTI Act,
44 were from Meerut district, 21 from Bagpat district, 53 from
Ghaziabad, 75 from Muzaffarnagar and 53 from Saharanpur.
In the latest case, two young women from Saharanpur and
Anupshahr have sought to know under the RTI about the conduct
of their husbands-to-be, the SP said.
Police is probing if the men they have asked about have
criminal background and authenticated information would soon
be sent to the two girls, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah
- OROP stalemate to end soon, Govt's draft agreement ready, claim sources
- Roger Federer cleans court by removing bottles, towels left by other players