Salman Khurshid hits out at UP police over poll code violation case
Farrukhabad: Union Minister Salman Khurshid on Friday attacked the Uttar Pradesh police for lodging a case of violation of model code of conduct against him, saying he would have taken the police team "hostage" as it had entered the premises without any warrant.
"Had I been present in the hospital, I would have got the policemen hostage for entering there without warrant," Khurshid told reporters here last night.
Khurshid said he was in Netherlands for Nuclear Security Summit when he received the information about the case and claimed that foreigners after seeing the news on Internet laughed at him.
"Police does not know the meaning of model code of conduct violation...It comes to force when election is effected...This case is example of autocratic attitude of police. The officers should tell whether there is rule of law in the country or not," he added.
The Union minister said he would register his complaint with the Election Commission against the attitude of the officers and alleged that all this was being done by them due to political pressure.
An FIR was registered here on March 23 against Khurshid and his two supporters after a vehicle, loaded with solar lights and some other material purportedly meant for distribution among villagers was caught.
On suspicion that the equipments were being brought here for distribution among the villagers, a case was lodged against Khurshid and his supporters Jaan Mohammad and Bablu.
It has also been mentioned in the FIR that some tricycles were recovered from a godown of a hospital in Nawabganj area which were meant for distribution.
Khurshid maintained that the distribution of tricycles was a routine exercise and not related to elections.
Asked to react on Khurshid`s comments, Kanpur DIG RK Chaturvedi said, "No one is above law. We will prepare a CD about the statements of the minister against officer and take appropriate action".
Chaturvedi said that he would also inquire into similar cases registered against Khurshid and others in 2009 on which final report was filed.
The minister had yesterday also said that the registration of poll code violation case against him was "part of a conspiracy" and that he will challenge it in Supreme Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zakir Naik's 'IRF' converted many to Islam?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Boyfriend material! Five signs that prove he is the ideal one for you
- WWE Monday Night Raw results (July 25, 2016): Finn Balor earns shot at WWE Universal Title
- Mercedes to have petrol variants across portfolio in India by September
- Opposition alleges use of coercion, threats in RS polls in Jharkhand
- LOL: Never ever say these annoying things to a tall person! – Watch video