SP, BSP should clear stand on FDI in retail: Rajnath
Lucknow: BJP leader Rajnath Singh on Saturday asked the Samajwadi Party and the Bahujan Samaj Party to clear their stand on the issue of foreign direct investment in retail.
"I want to appeal to SP and BSP to clear their stand on the issue of FDI in retail. On one hand, the two parties say they oppose FDI in retail, on the other they have an understanding with the Congress-led UPA," Rajnath said here.
He also appealed to both the parties to vote against the FDI, keeping in view the "national interest".
On the outcome of the voting, Rajnath said although the results won`t affect the health of the Central government, but at least the country will be able to "recover from the serious challenge" posed before its economy due to the decision.
He accused the Congress of contempt of Parliament by taking the FDI decision without due consultation, as assured by the then Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee in the House.
"In the democratic history of the country, no government did contempt of the Parliament in this manner like the UPA did," Singh alleged.
The BJP leader said the BJP and NDA "won`t allow FDI to get implemented", as the decision will push the country towards "economic slavery".
Welcoming the decision of direct cash transfer of subsidies, he said the step, although in a right direction, came late.
"Before taking the decision the government should have ensured that bank accounts of all farmers and poor were there. Whenever elections come, government plays such tactics," he alleged.
Condemning the Uttar Pradesh government`s move to withdraw cases against terror suspects, Rajnath said the decision was driven by nothing but vote-bank politics.
He also criticised the state government for not declaring state advisory price of sugarcane, and demanded that it should be fixed at Rs 400 per quintal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional