SP to launch agitation on November 16
Lucknow: Expressing solidarity with the
farmers in Uttar Pradesh, Samajwadi Party on Monday announced to
launch a state-wide agitation from November 16.
"The Centre and the state governments are indulging in
looting the farmers. The SP will launch an agitation against
this loot and would stage a massive demonstration on November
16," SP supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav told reporters here.
He said that the party`s proposed agitation would revolve
around two important issues including farmers and the state
government`s conspiracy against Amar Singh.
"Cane farmers in UP are not only being forced to burn
their produce, but they are also committing suicide," he
Terming the Mayawati government as inhuman, he demanded
that Rs 10 lakh ex-gratia should be given to kin of farmers,
who had committed suicide.
"Our party demands that the cane producers should get
minimum Rs 300 per quintal for their produce. Similarly Rs
1,500 per quintal should be given for wheat," he said.
Yadav said that while the state government had hiked
State Advised Price by Rs 25 per quintal, the Centre had fixed
a Fair Remunerative Price of Rs 129 per quintal.
"These prices were announced without evaluating the fact
that the cost of production had increased manifold," he said
and added, "The sole objective of both the state and Centre is
to benefit industrialists and sugar mills."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt