Suspected Maoists damage rail tracks in Uttar Pradesh
Lucknow: Suspected Maoists damaged rail tracks and removed fish-plates after holding captive a railway employee in Uttar Pradesh`s Sonbhadra district, police said Thursday. Movement of trains along the route was stopped.
The incident took place late Wednesday near the Churk railway station, over 250 km from here.
"Nearly 40 people held the railway employee captive and started hitting the tracks with hard objects. Fish-plates were also removed and nearly 20-metre stretch of the track was taken out," Superintendent of Police P.P. Singh told reporters in Sonbhadra.
"Normally, such acts are committed by Maoists. We have constituted teams to nab those behind the incident," he added.
According to police, the railway employee was later set free by the attackers, who escaped. Work to restore rail traffic on the affected route was under way, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers