Three dead in communal clashes in Saharanpur, Centre rushes 600 paramilitary forces
Zee Media Bureau
Saharanpur/Lucknow: Around 600 para military force personnel were rushed by the Central government after three persons were killed and 19 others, including policemen, were injured as violent clashes broke out between two communities over a land dispute in Saharanpur on Saturday.
Following the incident mobs indulged in arson, after which curfew was clamped and shoot-at-sight ordered.
"Three persons, including traders leader Harish Kochar, Arif and an unidentified person were killed in clashes between the two communities," Additional Director General of Police (Law and Order) Mukul Goel told.
Five policemen, city magistrate, and 13 others were injured. A constable Shensar Pal was stated to be in a serious condition in Chandigarh PGI after suffering a bullet injury.
District Magistrate Sandhya Tiwari and SSP Rajesh Kumar Pandey told the media in Saharanpur this evening that shoot-at-sight order has been issued.
The decision to sent the para military forces was taken after Home Minister Rajnath Singh spoke to Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav, official sources said.
Singh had asked Yadav to ensure communal harmony in the state in the wake of violence in Saharanpur and offered all help to contain the situation.
The Home Minister, who is personally monitoring the situation in Uttar Pradesh, had telephoned Yadav and expressed his concern over the violent clashes that broke out between two communities in the Western UP town.
He had also conveyed to the Chief Minister that the Central government would provide all assistance, including paramilitary forces, to the state government to maintain law and order.
Police fired rubber bullets to control the situation as mobs went on rampage setting several shops afire.
Prohibitory orders under section 144 of CrPC have been invoked in the district and curfew has been clamped in six areas, Commissioner, Saharanpur, Tanveer Zafar Ali said.
Senior administrative and police officials were rushed to the spot to pacify the rival groups.
DIG STF Deepak Ratan and Bhuvnesh Kumar, who was Commissioner of Saharanpur earlier, have been rushed from Lucknow by helicopter to control the situation, sources said.
Besides, 18 companies of additional force including eight of PAC, six of CRPF ,two of RAF and two of ITBP have been deployed in the troubled areas, sources said.
"As per the information received so far, there was a dispute over land between two communities which escalated this morning," Goel said.
Trouble began when members of one community started construction work at the site in Kutubsher area in the wee hours this morning, which was objected to by the other group.
Both the sides indulged in heavy brick-batting, arson and opened fire and there were reports of several shops being gutted in the clash, police said.
Even as curfew has been clamped, sporadic incidents of clashes were reported.
The ADG said senior officers were camping in the area.
Saharanpur is nearly 170 km from national capital Delhi and 560 km from state capital Lucknow.
With PTI Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'