Zee Media Bureau
Saharanpur/Lucknow: Around 600 para military force personnel were rushed by the Central government after three persons were killed and 19 others, including policemen, were injured as violent clashes broke out between two communities over a land dispute in Saharanpur on Saturday.
Following the incident mobs indulged in arson, after which curfew was clamped and shoot-at-sight ordered.
"Three persons, including traders leader Harish Kochar, Arif and an unidentified person were killed in clashes between the two communities," Additional Director General of Police (Law and Order) Mukul Goel told.
Five policemen, city magistrate, and 13 others were injured. A constable Shensar Pal was stated to be in a serious condition in Chandigarh PGI after suffering a bullet injury.
District Magistrate Sandhya Tiwari and SSP Rajesh Kumar Pandey told the media in Saharanpur this evening that shoot-at-sight order has been issued.
The decision to sent the para military forces was taken after Home Minister Rajnath Singh spoke to Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav, official sources said.
Singh had asked Yadav to ensure communal harmony in the state in the wake of violence in Saharanpur and offered all help to contain the situation.
The Home Minister, who is personally monitoring the situation in Uttar Pradesh, had telephoned Yadav and expressed his concern over the violent clashes that broke out between two communities in the Western UP town.
He had also conveyed to the Chief Minister that the Central government would provide all assistance, including paramilitary forces, to the state government to maintain law and order.
Police fired rubber bullets to control the situation as mobs went on rampage setting several shops afire.
Prohibitory orders under section 144 of CrPC have been invoked in the district and curfew has been clamped in six areas, Commissioner, Saharanpur, Tanveer Zafar Ali said.
Senior administrative and police officials were rushed to the spot to pacify the rival groups.
DIG STF Deepak Ratan and Bhuvnesh Kumar, who was Commissioner of Saharanpur earlier, have been rushed from Lucknow by helicopter to control the situation, sources said.
Besides, 18 companies of additional force including eight of PAC, six of CRPF ,two of RAF and two of ITBP have been deployed in the troubled areas, sources said.
"As per the information received so far, there was a dispute over land between two communities which escalated this morning," Goel said.
Trouble began when members of one community started construction work at the site in Kutubsher area in the wee hours this morning, which was objected to by the other group.
Both the sides indulged in heavy brick-batting, arson and opened fire and there were reports of several shops being gutted in the clash, police said.
Even as curfew has been clamped, sporadic incidents of clashes were reported.
The ADG said senior officers were camping in the area.
Saharanpur is nearly 170 km from national capital Delhi and 560 km from state capital Lucknow.
With PTI Inputs