Two working as couriers in a hawala racket arrested
Lucknow: Two persons, working as couriers
for a hawala racket were arrested by the Anti-Terror Squad of
Uttar Pradesh police in Varanasi district, a senior officer
said here today.
Sirajuddin and Raees Ahmad were arrested last evening
from Rajnahiya Bazar in Varanasi by the ATS while they were on
their way to Azamgarh to deliver Rs 16 lakh in cash to some
persons, Additional Director General of Police (Law and Order)
Brij Lal told reporters here.
During interrogation the arrested persons revealed that
they worked for hawala operators based in Varanasi, he said.
"It had been revealed that some persons based in Delhi
and Mumbai were providing money to people through hawala
through their agents in Varanasi," he said.
The ADG said that the racket had its network in
Allahabad, Jaunpur, Azamgarh, Mau, Gorakhpur, Siddharth Nagar
"So far several crores of rupees had been traded through
this racket. We are investigating the arrested persons to
extract further information and other agencies including
Enforcement Directorate have been informed about the catch,"
"We are trying to get information as to who were the
persons to whom the money was being provided and whether it
was meant for terrorists or any other anti-social activity,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next