UP cane growers damage rail tracks, block roads
Lucknow: Agitated over relatively low sugarcane prices suggested by the government, hundreds of farmers took to the streets Monday, damaged railway tracks and blocked highways in parts of western Uttar Pradesh, police said.
Irate farmers removed fish plates and damaged railway tracks near Bawli railway station in Baghpat district, some 400 km from Lucknow, while those in Meerut and Saharanpur districts disrupted vehicular traffic along busy roads, police added.
"Demonstrations near Bawli started early Monday. Hundreds of farmers sat on the railway tracks and even damaged these," Baghpat Superintendent of Police Deepak Kumar said on phone.
"Additional security personnel have been deployed in Baghpat after the protests," Kumar added.
In Meerut, about 450 km from Lucknow, protesters stopped traffic in Dauraula, Sardhana and Partapur towns.
The central government has announced a price of Rs.129.85 per quintal for sugarcane during the 2009-10 crushing season under the Fair and Remunerative Price (FRP) system, while the State Advisory Price (SAP) has been set between Rs.165 and Rs.170 per quintal.
In case a state government fixes SAP higher than FRP, it will have to pay the difference.
Farmers want Rs.280 per quintal for their produce.
Rashtriya Lok Dal (RLD) chief Ajit Singh has already said opposition parties would not allow the government to pass the pending FRP Ordinance in Parliament, and that his supporters will lay siege to Parliament House Nov 19, when the winter session is scheduled to start.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset