UP govt presents details of devp works in Bundelkhand
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Saturday, April 30, 2011, 22:25
  
Lucknow: Refuting Congress' accusation that it is lax in using central funds for development of Bundelkhand, the ruling BSP in Uttar Pradesh on Saturday presented details of the works taken by it through its "limited resources" and alleged that the Centre ignored its request for a special economic package for the region.

"The Centre ignored our demands since 2007 for a special package of Rs 80,000 crore for the region and only last year announced a package of Rs 7,000 crore of which the state's share is around Rs 3,500 crores. Of the rest amount, Rs 1,600 crore will come in the next three years," UP cabinet secretary Shashank Shekhar Singh told a press conference here.

"In the past four years, the state government has been making concerted efforts through its limited resources to deal with different problems in Bundelkhand," he said.

The state government has initiated various development schemes for the region. Aiming at increasing the green cover of the area, Rs 725 crore was spent to plant 10 crore saplings, the cabinet secretary said.

Besides, the region now get 18 to 19 hours of uninterrupted power supply due to efforts of the state government in setting up power plants there.

A scheme has been initiated for BPL families under which each family gets Rs 400 per month. As many as 14,00,50 families have been benefited from the scheme, Singh said.

The government has also given grants to farmers for fruit cultivation, he said.

The cabinet secretary said the development of Bundelkhand can be done only by making it a separate state.

Earlier in the day in Banda, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress leader Rahul Gandhi accused the Mayawati government of being lax in using central grants for development of Bundelkhand and ignoring the plight of Dalits and other weaker sections.

PTI


First Published: Saturday, April 30, 2011, 22:25


comments powered by Disqus