UP Police directives to ensure peaceful Lok Sabha polls
Lucknow: To ensure peaceful Lok Sabha polls in the state, Uttar Pradesh Police on Wednesday issued directives to all district police chiefs, asking them to constitute election cell and appoint nodal officers.
"The directives have been issued. The police chiefs have been asked to constitute election cell and appoint nodal officers, besides starting campaign against illicit liquor and arms, and keeping an eye on trouble makers," IG (Law and Order) Amrendra Singh Sengar told reporters here.
He said the district police chiefs had been asked to identify critical and vulnerable polling stations, and to initiate measures for them.
They have also been asked to identify places and make arrangements for the stay of para-military forces to be deployed during polls. A process is on to identify sensitive and communally-sensitive districts where more forces are to be deployed, the officer said.
Asked about the number of communally-sensitive districts in the state, Sengar said the exact number was yet to be ascertained, but some districts in the Meerut zone lie under the category.
Police have also been asked to work on shortcomings in the control room, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says