UP polls: SP, Cong to battle for Rampur
Rampur: With the announcement of candidates in
all five constituencies in this UP district, the stage is set
for a tough contest between Samajwadi party (SP), which
considers it as its stronghold, and the Congress.
The centre of attraction is likely to be the contest
between SP`s seven-time winning MLA Mohammed Azam Khan and
popular physician and philanthropist Tanveer Ahmed Khan,
fielded by the Congress.
However, according to the locals, Azam Khan`s political
experience will give him edge even though Tanveer is known in
the state as well as in neighbouring Uttarakhand for his
"Tanveer is a nice person but there is a sea of difference
between niceness and politics. We need a person who can bring
development in Rampur," an autodriver Babbu Khan said.
However, Lok Manch, a party floated by Azam Khan`s bete
noir and ex-SP leader Amar Singh and actress-turned politician
Jaya Prada is hoping to make a dent into the vote bank of the
other heavyweights with their nominee Reshma Bi, former
chairperson of Rampur Municipal Board and wife of a former
Congress MLA Afroz Ali Khan.
The other interesting contest is in Swar-Tanda
constituency from where the sitting Samajwadi Party
MLA Nawab Kazim Ali Khan has been fielded by Congress.
While BSP has banked on the business community of the area
by fielding one of its representatives Bhart Bhusan Gupta,
BJP`s nominee is a Brahamin Jogeshwar Dayal Dixit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!