UP will regain prominent position: Akhilesh
Lucknow: Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav expressed the hope on Thursday that Uttar Pradesh will regain its prominent position in the country.
Speaking on the occasion of India`s Independence Day, the Chief Minister said efforts were on to ensure that the state emerged as a front ranking state.
Akhilesh Yadav enumerated the various schemes undertaken by his Samajwadi Party government for the poor and the minorities.
He said his government was giving adequate focus to strengthening roads and laying new roads and highways in the sprawling state. "All district headquarters will soon be linked to four-lane roads."
Stressing the need for women`s participation in mainstream society, the chief minister said educating girls was a core area for the state.
Farmers, he added, were being provided timely seeds, fertilizers and free irrigation from state-owned canals and tube wells.
"The state government has given a 138-acre land in Rae Bareilly for AIIMS. I am sure very soon work will start on this ambitious project," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Inside view: Hillary Clinton e-mails reveal what US thinks of India
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah