Uttar Pradesh farmers to sell sugarcane in other states
Lucknow: Sugarcane farmers in Uttar Pradesh will sell their produce to sugar mills in Uttarakhand and Haryana if the state government did not raise the advised price to Rs.215 per quintal from the current Rs.165-Rs.170, a farmers` body said on Friday.
The Bhartiya Kisan Union (BKU) convened a meeting of farmers in Muzaffarnagar district, some 350 km from Lucknow, in which they passed a resolution saying they would sell sugarcane to mill owners in neighbouring states.
"In Uttarakhand, the mill owners have agreed to give Rs.215-Rs.220 per quintal for our produce," BKU`s general secretary Rakesh Tikait told a news agency on phone from Muzaffarnagar.
"We are also in the process to have such an agreement with the mills in Haryana, where cane growers get Rs.200 for their produce," he added.
According to BKU, the farmers would finalise their plan to sell sugarcane to mills in Uttarakhand at their Dec 1 meeting in Lucknow.
"If the state government fails to meet our demands and does not agree to pay us at least Rs.215 per quintal for sugarcane, we will have no other option but to sell the produce to Uttarakhand mills," Tikait said.
The farmers were spearheading an agitation across the state, demanding the government fix the state advised price for sugarcane at Rs.280 per quintal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says