Uttar Pradesh to hire accountant to probe Amar Singh`s `fraud`
Lucknow: Notwithstanding former Samajwadi Party general secretary Amar Singh`s sudden attempt to woo the ruling Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP), the Uttar Pradesh government has decided to seek the help of a chartered accountant to probe the alleged fraud case against him.
The case was registered with the state`s Economic Offences Wing (EOW) by a local lawyer Shiv Kant Tripathi, who had alleged a Rs.500 crore scam by Amar Singh.
The high profile politician was accused of using illegal means not only in bringing about amalgamation of a number of companies into six companies owned by him, but also in artificially raising the premium of shares of these companies.
Amar Singh was alleged to have used the amalgamation to legitimise a lot of "black money" parked in the name of scores of companies in which, along with him, his wife Pankaja Kumari Singh and mega-star Amitabh Bachchan owned cross-holdings.
"Since the matter involved major financial and accounting intricacies, expert advice was required to get to the root of the bungling. Therefore, we have decided to seek the services of a chartered accountancy firm," a senior police officer told a news agency.
The case was being "personally monitored" by state director general of police Karmveer Singh. It is learnt that the previous director general of police Vikram Singh was removed suddenly from the post because Amar Singh had allegedly managed to tackle
Senior Samajwadi leader, and now the party`s spokesman, Mohan Singh was not surprised at Amar`s sudden praise for both Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati and UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi. "Now that the Damocles sword was hanging around his neck in the form of this economic offences wing probe, Amar Singh was obviously intending to build bridges with the ruling party in the state as well as the centre," remarked Mohan Singh.
In an interview to a TV channel in New Delhi, Amar Singh had not only showered praise on Sonia, but gone to the extent of saying, "I can understand Mayawati`s pain after being hounded by Mulayam Singh`s men in the state guest house at Lucknow in 1995."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) TNBSE Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 declared