Uttar Pradesh to hire accountant to probe Amar Singh`s `fraud`
Lucknow: Notwithstanding former Samajwadi Party general secretary Amar Singh`s sudden attempt to woo the ruling Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP), the Uttar Pradesh government has decided to seek the help of a chartered accountant to probe the alleged fraud case against him.
The case was registered with the state`s Economic Offences Wing (EOW) by a local lawyer Shiv Kant Tripathi, who had alleged a Rs.500 crore scam by Amar Singh.
The high profile politician was accused of using illegal means not only in bringing about amalgamation of a number of companies into six companies owned by him, but also in artificially raising the premium of shares of these companies.
Amar Singh was alleged to have used the amalgamation to legitimise a lot of "black money" parked in the name of scores of companies in which, along with him, his wife Pankaja Kumari Singh and mega-star Amitabh Bachchan owned cross-holdings.
"Since the matter involved major financial and accounting intricacies, expert advice was required to get to the root of the bungling. Therefore, we have decided to seek the services of a chartered accountancy firm," a senior police officer told a news agency.
The case was being "personally monitored" by state director general of police Karmveer Singh. It is learnt that the previous director general of police Vikram Singh was removed suddenly from the post because Amar Singh had allegedly managed to tackle
Senior Samajwadi leader, and now the party`s spokesman, Mohan Singh was not surprised at Amar`s sudden praise for both Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati and UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi. "Now that the Damocles sword was hanging around his neck in the form of this economic offences wing probe, Amar Singh was obviously intending to build bridges with the ruling party in the state as well as the centre," remarked Mohan Singh.
In an interview to a TV channel in New Delhi, Amar Singh had not only showered praise on Sonia, but gone to the extent of saying, "I can understand Mayawati`s pain after being hounded by Mulayam Singh`s men in the state guest house at Lucknow in 1995."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared