Uttar Pradesh to hire accountant to probe Amar Singh`s `fraud`
Lucknow: Notwithstanding former Samajwadi Party general secretary Amar Singh`s sudden attempt to woo the ruling Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP), the Uttar Pradesh government has decided to seek the help of a chartered accountant to probe the alleged fraud case against him.
The case was registered with the state`s Economic Offences Wing (EOW) by a local lawyer Shiv Kant Tripathi, who had alleged a Rs.500 crore scam by Amar Singh.
The high profile politician was accused of using illegal means not only in bringing about amalgamation of a number of companies into six companies owned by him, but also in artificially raising the premium of shares of these companies.
Amar Singh was alleged to have used the amalgamation to legitimise a lot of "black money" parked in the name of scores of companies in which, along with him, his wife Pankaja Kumari Singh and mega-star Amitabh Bachchan owned cross-holdings.
"Since the matter involved major financial and accounting intricacies, expert advice was required to get to the root of the bungling. Therefore, we have decided to seek the services of a chartered accountancy firm," a senior police officer told a news agency.
The case was being "personally monitored" by state director general of police Karmveer Singh. It is learnt that the previous director general of police Vikram Singh was removed suddenly from the post because Amar Singh had allegedly managed to tackle
Senior Samajwadi leader, and now the party`s spokesman, Mohan Singh was not surprised at Amar`s sudden praise for both Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati and UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi. "Now that the Damocles sword was hanging around his neck in the form of this economic offences wing probe, Amar Singh was obviously intending to build bridges with the ruling party in the state as well as the centre," remarked Mohan Singh.
In an interview to a TV channel in New Delhi, Amar Singh had not only showered praise on Sonia, but gone to the extent of saying, "I can understand Mayawati`s pain after being hounded by Mulayam Singh`s men in the state guest house at Lucknow in 1995."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know