Withdraw cases against Bhatta farmers: BJP to SP
Lucknow: Former Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) president Rajnath Singh Tuesday wrote to Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav seeking his "immediate and personal" intervention in withdrawing cases against Bhatta-Parsaul farmers who were booked for various charges during the land acquisition-related protests.
In the one-page letter, Singh has pointed out that before the recent assembly elections, the Samajwadi Party had supported the farmers of Bhatta-Parsaul in their fight against land acquisition by the then Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) government.
"There was palpable anger against the atrocities on the farmers. After you came to power there was widespread belief that the cases would be withdrawn against the farmers and their leader Manveer Singh Teotia," he said, demanding that the state government immediately withdraw the cases slapped on the farmers and release them from jails.
Five farmers were killed at Ghodi Bachheda in Greater Noida in 2008 when police opened fire on a group of farmers who were seeking greater price for their land acquired for the Yamuna Expressway. Another five farmers were killed in 2010 at Aligarh`s Tappal, while two farmers and two policemen were killed at Bhatta-Parsaul in Greater Noida when clashes broke out over land acquisition by the Yamuna Expressway Authority.
Earlier last month, the Samajwadi Party government had withdrawn criminal cases slapped against 24 farmers during the Mayawati rule for violence at Tappal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH