Woman IPS officer dragged on road by subordinates
Bareilly: In a shocking case, a woman police officer was dragged on the road by her
subordinates in a vehicle after she objected to extortion by them in the name of traffic checking.
Superintendent of Police (Traffic) Kalpana Saxena, who is in hospital with a fractured hand and injuries on her head, said she had received information from an Army jawan last evening that some traffic constables were demanding bribes from truckers near the Jat regimental centre here.
"I rushed to the area along with the gunner and driver in a private car to catch them red handed. When I reached the area, I saw them extorting bribes from the constables. The
constables recognised me and tried to flee and crush me under their police vehicle," the 1990 batch officer of the state`s Provincial Police Service said.
"I caught hold of the neck of the driver driving the vehicle and it dragged me for more than an kilometre in full public view. Finally, they threw me on the road," Saxena said.
Police said one of the accused has been arrested and hunt is on to nab the two others.
They said that last evening Saxena got information that some constables were extorting money from the truck drivers after which she reached the spot with her driver and
After reaching the spot, when Saxena questioned the three constables present on the spot, they refused any extortion bid on which the officer asked her staff to check their pockets.
Sensing trouble, the three constables attacked Saxena and later attempted to flee.
While they were fleeing, Saxena caught hold of the collar of one the constables, but instead of stopping the vehicle, the policemen sped away dragging the officer.
DIG NK Srivastav said all the three constables have been suspended and FIR has been lodged at the Cantt police station in this regard.
"One of the accused Manoj Kumar had been arrested and efforts were being made to nab two others," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees