15 killed, six injured as jeep plunges into gorge
Pithoragarh: Fifteen people were killed and six others injured when a overloaded jeep fell into a gorge in this border district of Uttarakhand Tuesday.
The accident occurred early this morning at Girgaon near Munsiyari town close to Indo-Nepal border when the overloaded Bolero was on its way from Samkot village to Hokra, SDM A K Shukla said.
Twelve of the victims were killed on the spot while two died on way to hospital and one succumbed to injuries during treatment, he said.
The deceased were from Girgaon and Sainrathi villages of Munsiyari sub division.
Though it is still being ascertained what led to the accident, overloading seems to be the reason behind the mishap, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir