15 killed, six injured as jeep plunges into gorge
Pithoragarh: Fifteen people were killed and six others injured when a overloaded jeep fell into a gorge in this border district of Uttarakhand Tuesday.
The accident occurred early this morning at Girgaon near Munsiyari town close to Indo-Nepal border when the overloaded Bolero was on its way from Samkot village to Hokra, SDM A K Shukla said.
Twelve of the victims were killed on the spot while two died on way to hospital and one succumbed to injuries during treatment, he said.
The deceased were from Girgaon and Sainrathi villages of Munsiyari sub division.
Though it is still being ascertained what led to the accident, overloading seems to be the reason behind the mishap, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport
- Colombia peace deal to be signed late September
- Nita Ambani launch multi-discipline sports initiative; laud PM Modi for Olympics task force idea
- ISRO successfully tests scramjet rocket engine
- Rafael Nadal hoping to continue Rio Olympics momentum at US Open