15 killed, six injured as jeep plunges into gorge
Pithoragarh: Fifteen people were killed and six others injured when a overloaded jeep fell into a gorge in this border district of Uttarakhand Tuesday.
The accident occurred early this morning at Girgaon near Munsiyari town close to Indo-Nepal border when the overloaded Bolero was on its way from Samkot village to Hokra, SDM A K Shukla said.
Twelve of the victims were killed on the spot while two died on way to hospital and one succumbed to injuries during treatment, he said.
The deceased were from Girgaon and Sainrathi villages of Munsiyari sub division.
Though it is still being ascertained what led to the accident, overloading seems to be the reason behind the mishap, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway