15 killed, six injured as jeep plunges into gorge
Pithoragarh: Fifteen people were killed and six others injured when a overloaded jeep fell into a gorge in this border district of Uttarakhand Tuesday.
The accident occurred early this morning at Girgaon near Munsiyari town close to Indo-Nepal border when the overloaded Bolero was on its way from Samkot village to Hokra, SDM A K Shukla said.
Twelve of the victims were killed on the spot while two died on way to hospital and one succumbed to injuries during treatment, he said.
The deceased were from Girgaon and Sainrathi villages of Munsiyari sub division.
Though it is still being ascertained what led to the accident, overloading seems to be the reason behind the mishap, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan