25 lakh sadhus, pilgrims take dip on day of 3rd royal bath
Haridwar: Nearly 25 lakh pilgrims, including
several sadhus, today took a holy dip in the river Ganga on
the occasion of third royal bath of the ongoing Mahakumbh
25 lakh Sadhus and other pilgrims have taken a dip in the
river Ganga, said Kumbh Mela Officer Anand Vardhan.
Twenty-eight representative Sadhus and seers, belonging
to seven sanyasi (Shaiv) `akharas` (Hindu orders) of Joona,
Niranjani, Atal, Aahwan, Anand, Mahanirvani and Agni were the
first, who took bath at Brahmkund area of Har-Ki-Pauri, the
main bathing ghat, on the occasion of Chaitra Purnima, which
has been declared as a royal bath for the first time.
Sanyasi akharas were followed by the sadhus belonging to
Bairagi (Vaishnav) Akharas of Nirmohi Ani, Digambar Ani,
Nirwani Ani, Bada Udasin, Naya Udasin and Nirmal, who reached
at Har-Ki-Pauri in the form of procession.
Thousands of Sadhus including Khalsa, Dakor and
Ramanandacharyas attended the impressive procession, which was
led by Mahant Gyan Das, president of Akil Bhartiya Akhara
Lakhs of devotees were seen standing on both sides of the
road with folded hands braving scorching heat to witness the
Other bathing ghats of Haridwar and Rishikesh were also
flooded with pilgrims since early morning.
Elaborate security arrangements were made for the third
The bath passed off peacefully with no untoward incident
reported from anywhere, Vardhan said.
This was the third royal bath of the ongoing Mahakumbh
mela, that began on Jan 14 with Makar Sankranti.
Eleven major baths, including four royal baths were
scheduled during the Mahakumbh. The fourth and the last royal
bath would be held on April 14.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre