37 Chinese incursions in 5 years in U`khand: CM
New Delhi: At least 37 incursions of Chinese forces have been reported during the last five years in Uttarakhand, which has a 350 kilometer long border with China, Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna on Monday said.
Speaking at the chief ministers` conference on Internal Security, the newly-elected Chief Minister of Uttarakhand, Bahuguna said Chinese are disputing Indian territorial claims regarding Barahoti in Chamoli district.
"There have been several reported incursions by Chinese patrol parties into Indian territory in this area-? six times in 2006, twice in 2007, ten times in 2008, eleven times in 2009, five times in 2010 and thrice in 2011," he said.
Underlining the importance of a potent road network in the border areas, Bahuguna said the centre has sanctioned 12 strategic roads in border areas but the progress has been slow owing to forest clearances.
"Expediting the construction of border roads and tracks is crucial especially in view of the modern highways constructed by China right upto the international border with India," he said.
Bahuguna also raised concerns about the threat posed by the Moists in Nepal who have declared Kalapani in Pithoragarh district to be a Nepalese territory and repeatedly threatening to march to it.
"A frontal organisation of the Nepalese Maoists, the Young Communist League (YCL), is very active in the Nepalese province of Mahakali Anchal, which has borders with Uttarakhand," the chief minister said.
The Chief Minister said intelligence inputs indicate that CPI Maoists have designs to deploy People`s Liberation Guerilla Army cadres in Uttarakhad and intensify their tactical counter-offensive campaign in order to push the state into the "fourth stage" of the revolutionary movement.
Bahuguna said 50 border outposts of SSB have been
sanctioned to guard the 275 kilometer long Indo-Nepal border.
The chief minister said that state has some very important religious shrines and several sensitive installations besides a porous border with Nepal which makes it a sensitive state from the security point of view.
The Chief Minister said a total of 139 installations in the state have been identified on the basis of their security related sensitivity and divided into four categories.
He said 127 standard operating procedures have been drawn up in connection with the security of these units.
"Though the state intelligence and security agencies have also been vigilant, the porous international border continues to pose a security threat to the state. The Central Government should focus on upgrading the intelligence network along the international border. Surveillance and reconnaissance in border areas by the Central Forces also needs to be stepped up," Bahuguna said.
The written speech of the chief minister submitted by the Uttarkhand government at the conference said 16 frontal organisations of Maoists have been activated in the state which are focusing on students, labourers, peasants, and women to gain popular support and discredit the establishment.
He said intelligence inputs also indicate a gradual increase in the activity of CPI?Maoist cadres, making it a vulnerable target for left-wing extremism.
He said the socio-economic and geographical conditions of the state, too, make it more vulnerable to extremist left wing influence.
On the issue of police reforms, Bahuguna said the Supreme Court has asked for separation of investigation and law and order wings of the police for areas having population above 10 lakhs but state, despite having no such area, has carried out exercise in 29 districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'