6 killed in Uttarakhand bridge collapse
Dehra Dun: Six people were killed and 18 others injured when an under-construction bridge over the river Alaknanda collapsed near Srinagar town in Uttarakhand`s Pauri district on Sunday, prompting Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna to order a magisterial inquiry.
The Choras bridge collapsed in the wee hours when several labourers were working there, Pauri District Magistrate M C Upreti said, adding the reason for the collapse was not immediately known.
He said all the six bodies have been retrieved.
The state government sent a helicopter to Srinagar area to rush the injured people to a private hospital in Dehradun where condition of some of them was stated to be critical.
"I am concerned over what happened. I have already ordered a helicopter," Bahuguna told reporters here before leaving for Srinagar to take stock of the situation. He was accompanied by Union Minister Harish Rawat.
Ordering a magisterial inquiry into the incident, the Chief Minister said strong action would be taken against the guilty officials.
Bahuguna also announced a compensation of Rs one lakh each to the families of the deceased and Rs 50,000 to each injured. He also ordered a survey of all the bridges in the state so that such incidents should recur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- North Korea floats propaganda leaflets in river for 1st time
- WATCH: Chilling video of Gwalior road mishap and miraculous escape of two scooty riders
- 'Sultan' moment: Salman Khan, nephew Ahil clicked in wrestling mood
- Palestinian killed in exchange of fire with Israeli army
- Girl commits suicide after being ragged in Kerala, three final year students arrested