6 killed in Uttarakhand bridge collapse
Dehra Dun: Six people were killed and 18 others injured when an under-construction bridge over the river Alaknanda collapsed near Srinagar town in Uttarakhand`s Pauri district on Sunday, prompting Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna to order a magisterial inquiry.
The Choras bridge collapsed in the wee hours when several labourers were working there, Pauri District Magistrate M C Upreti said, adding the reason for the collapse was not immediately known.
He said all the six bodies have been retrieved.
The state government sent a helicopter to Srinagar area to rush the injured people to a private hospital in Dehradun where condition of some of them was stated to be critical.
"I am concerned over what happened. I have already ordered a helicopter," Bahuguna told reporters here before leaving for Srinagar to take stock of the situation. He was accompanied by Union Minister Harish Rawat.
Ordering a magisterial inquiry into the incident, the Chief Minister said strong action would be taken against the guilty officials.
Bahuguna also announced a compensation of Rs one lakh each to the families of the deceased and Rs 50,000 to each injured. He also ordered a survey of all the bridges in the state so that such incidents should recur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested