Bail plea of Rudrapur riot accused MLA rejected in Uttarakhand
Rudrapur (U`khand): A court here on Friday rejected the bail plea of BJP MLA Rajkumar Thukral, who had surrendered recently in connection with a case of rioting, after being on the run for four months.
District and Sessions Judge of Udhamsingh Nagar RC Kukreti refused to grant him bail on account of the gravity of the charges against him, Tukral`s counsel Diwakar Pandey said.
CJM Ashutosh Mishra`s court has already rejected Thukral`s bail application on February 26, the day he surrendered in his court.
Thukral was absconding since issuance of an non-bailable warrant by a court against him on October 16 in connection with Rudrapur riots of 2011, which left four dead and 60 injured.
The riots had erupted after torn pages of a holy book were found outside a place of worship in the town.
His failure to appear in court despite repeated notices led to attachment of his property on December 28.
He was declared an absconder after that and a reward of Rs 2,500 was announced for anyone giving information on his whereabouts.
The case had been handed over to the CB-CID last year which had filed FIRs against Thukral and others charging them with inciting violence during Rudrapur riots.
Opposition BJP has been alleging that the MLA is innocent and being framed as part of a conspiracy to end his?political career.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof