Bail plea of Rudrapur riot accused MLA rejected in Uttarakhand
Rudrapur (U`khand): A court here on Friday rejected the bail plea of BJP MLA Rajkumar Thukral, who had surrendered recently in connection with a case of rioting, after being on the run for four months.
District and Sessions Judge of Udhamsingh Nagar RC Kukreti refused to grant him bail on account of the gravity of the charges against him, Tukral`s counsel Diwakar Pandey said.
CJM Ashutosh Mishra`s court has already rejected Thukral`s bail application on February 26, the day he surrendered in his court.
Thukral was absconding since issuance of an non-bailable warrant by a court against him on October 16 in connection with Rudrapur riots of 2011, which left four dead and 60 injured.
The riots had erupted after torn pages of a holy book were found outside a place of worship in the town.
His failure to appear in court despite repeated notices led to attachment of his property on December 28.
He was declared an absconder after that and a reward of Rs 2,500 was announced for anyone giving information on his whereabouts.
The case had been handed over to the CB-CID last year which had filed FIRs against Thukral and others charging them with inciting violence during Rudrapur riots.
Opposition BJP has been alleging that the MLA is innocent and being framed as part of a conspiracy to end his?political career.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case