British woman allegedly gangraped in Uttarakhand
Dehradun: A British national was allegedly gangraped near the pilgrim city of Rishikesh, police said on Sunday.
The incident took place on Mar 21 night in Laxman Jhula area, 60 km from here, and an FIR was lodged yesterday against some foreigners and Indians.
It is alleged that the 30-year-old woman, who hails from London, lodged a complaint with the police but no FIR was filed. Later, she went to Delhi and lodged a report with the British Embassy and an FIR was filed after the intervention of embassy officials.
"We have picked up some people for interrogation," Superintendent of Police (SP), Pauri, Pushpak Jyoti said.
A medical examination of the woman has been conducted
but the report is awaited, Jyoti said.
Officials said it is first such incident involving a
foreigner in the state in recent past.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city