Char Dham Yatra hit by snowfall, rains
Dehradun/Lucknow: The pious Char Dham Yatra in Uttarakhand, which began earlier this month after a gap of three months, has been hit by inclement weather, officials said Saturday.
The yatra to Badrinath and the Kedarnath shrines has been stopped briefly due to incessant snowfall and rains. More than four dozen pilgrims were forced to abort the trek.
It has been snowing in the Himalayas since Friday afternoon, making the new 24-km long trek from Joshimath towards Kedarnath extremely hazardous and risky, an official told a news agency.
Rains and dark clouds compounded the travel plans further. A heavy storm accompanied by rains blew away a tent Thursday and grounded the onward journey to Kedarnath.
As a result of harsh weather conditions, there was a considerable drop in the number of pilgrims to these two shrines. The number of pilgrims to reach Badrinath Friday was 50.
The two shrines will close late November due to winter and will remain shut for over six months.
The Kedarnath shrine area was ravaged in the June flash floods that killed thousands and devastated the roads and bridges to the shrine.
The Uttarakhand government has now decided to control the number of pilgrims to these two shrines.
Earlier, there was no such bar on the number of vehicles and people going to these shrines, including at Gangotri and Yamunotri.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Maharashtra Board HSC Examination Results 2016: (maharesult.nic.in) MSBSHSE Class 12th Result 2016, Maharashtra Board Plus two Result to be declared on May 25 (today)
- Six more arrested for attack on Punjab spiritual leader Sant Baba Ranjit Singh Dhadrianwale
- IPL 9: RCB skipper Virat Kohli 81-run short to create history this season
- Second seed Andy Murray battles into French Open second round
- Watch video: Furious and stormy young sun seeded life on Earth, says NASA