Deaths in U`khand tragedy could`ve been prevented: Uma Bharti
Bhopal: Loss of lives in the Uttarakhand tragedy was a result of "human error" which could have been averted if some steps had been taken in time, BJP vice president Uma Bharti said on Sunday.
"I feel that because of the heavy rains, floods could not have been avoided. However, the sad loss of human lives should not have taken place," Bharti told a news agency.
There were heavy rains in Uttarakhand for three days from June 14, because of which the Gandhi Sarovar above Kedarnath in Uttarakhand was overflowing, she said.
If steps had been taken to evacuate the pilgrims from Kedarnath and other places during those three days, the loss of human lives could have been prevented, Bharti said.
The Dhari Devi temple in Uttarakhand was moved on June 16 and it was only after that the devastation struck the hill state, she claimed.
Bharti said she would not like to say that the tragedy occurred because of the shifting of the temple, but pointed out that it was a popular belief that Dhari Devi temple was the protector of tourists and those living in the state.
She said that she was among those who had campaigned against the moving of the temple but added that her voice was not heard.
May be this happened under the pressure of the "power mafia" which wanted big power projects to come up at the site where the temple was located, she alleged.
Bharti said small power projects along the rivers of Uttarakhand would have been good for the people and environment of the state.
"However, there was little possibility of these small power projects coming up as they would not provide any benefit to the influential power mafia," Bharti alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'